And as quickly as it arrived, New Zealand Fashion week is over for another year. I know that it is the first day of Spring but the past week of shows has got me thinking ahead to next Winter already. Here are the pieces/trends that caught my eye - Those that should definitely be invested in when the cooler months roll back around.
1. Pleats at Lucilla Gray: Ok, so while I am very much excited about next Winter, Lucilla Gray's eponymous label has actually made me really excited about this Summer (not that I needed a reason to be excited). This Summer I will be wearing pleats. I have particularly fallen in love with the pleated pant (last photo below). Imagine floating around in those on a hot Summers day. So lush. Although potentially also parachute like on a windy day (lucky I no longer live in Wellington).
2. This incredible Mongolian fur stole from Harman Grubisa: I have been noticing fur (real and faux) for a while now, but this piece has totally captured my attention. The styling in this show was also incredible, I love the way that the stole is belted around the models waist. "Snug as a bug in a rug" is something that my mum used to say to us when we put on our coats on a cold Winters day and I feel that this item would make you just that - Snug as a bug in a rug!!
3. Everything at Mae by Willa and Mae: While watching this show, I turned to the person next to me and whispered: "You would have to be so glam to wear this to bed". And to be honest, there was nothing in this collection that I would want to keep in the confines of my bedroom. With billowing shirts taking the classic business shirt to a whole new level. My advice, give your man their back shirt now. You don't need it anymore.
4. And everything at Julian Danger: In terms of wearability this show was the highlight of my week. While I could go on about the entire collection, what really grabbed my attention were the incredible sneakers. In particular, the Sadie Sneaker - think quilted leather, almost Van looking but with a pointed toe. And in the most incredible colours - camel cream, steel blue and pink. Totally sports luxe. The shoe below (the Sophia Sneaker) gives you a good idea of the look. Oh and I have to mention the hair - all of the models came out with bunny tails in their pony tails giving me a whole new use for my Charlie Horse Bunny Bomb.
5. Ruby's Tonight, Tonight show: This was the last show that I attended for the week and it certainly ended my week on a high. Let's be honest, fashion can be pretentious at times, but the Ruby gals squashed any notion of that when the runway was interrupted by a hilarious skit and brilliant rendition of Beyonce's "Run the World (Girls)" by Chris Parker, Thomas Sainsbury, Lara Fischel-Chisholm and Kate Simmonds. The surprises didn't end there - the entire collection was instantly shoppable (as in a shop literally opened up in the middle of the runway) - The definition of fast fashion. While the collection had an unmistakably 70s vibe, the pieces were also somehow classic. I fell in love with the bell sleeved top (perfect for work) and the star covered playsuit (and play).